top of page

Permits and Licensing


  • Do I need a permit?
    You will need a permit for any structural change in an existing structure and any building being added to the property.
  • How do I know where my septic tank is located?
    For any questions about your septic tank, please contact Barrow County Environmental Health at 770-307-3502. Their office is located at 10 W Williams Street, Winder, GA 30680.
  • Do I need a permit for a fence?
    Barrow County does not require a fence permit.
  • How long does it take to get a permit?
    It could take up to three to four weeks to issue a permit. Our office will contact you via email whenever your permit has been approved.
  • What if I need a State Certification along with a Local License?
    You will need to apply for and receive your State Certification before any Local License can be issued.
  • When does my business license expire?
    All business licenses issued by Barrow County expire December 31st. We apply a late penalty fee of 10% after January 15th. Please note, we do NOT send out yearly reminders at this time.
  • What documentation will I need to file a new business license?
    You will need to complete the following forms: - New Business License Form - Private Employer Affidavit - O.C.G.A. § 50-36-1(e)(2) AFFIDAVIT - Property Contact Form (only required if you are leasing/renting business location) - Home Office Requirements Form (only required if business will operate out of your home) - Copy of any State license if applicable to your trade. (ex: plumbing license, nursing license, contractor license, etc) Any additional documentation can be attached your New Business License form by using the paperclip on the top left side of the page when completing the form. *You will receive an email once we review your application to confirm license fees and form of payment if approved.
bottom of page